Wednesday, November 21, 2007

family loyalty

After 17 years of family reunionification I feel as if I have prevailed and I really am an intregal part of my family of origin. I was talking to my brother recently about our fathers memorial service held in September. My presence was problematic for my younger sister so I decided that it was appropriate for me not to be there. Afterall is said and done, me being the only one of his children relinquished at birth to be reared by genetic strangers meant that I wasn't there growing up so I felt it was best I wasn't there to honour him in anyway in life/death. I suggested to my siblings that I was representative of the women who had been in his life and were no longer with us, our mother Coral being one of these women. When I really thought about attending his memorial, I realised that really all I wanted was to be in the same room, just once in my lifetime with all my brothers and sisters.

My brother was telling me about the day and he said to me....... "We were all loyal to you Chris, none of us said anything good about him." I quickly pointed out to my brother that it was to themselves that they were being loyal , but his words made my heart soar and I had one of those rare moments where I really did feel as if ......I was an important part of my family of origin.

1 comment:

Von said...

Those moments, so precious!!